High Desert Youth Range Camp is held in the Northern Great Basin Experimental Range about 35 miles West of Burns, OR and encompasses more than 16,000 acres.
High school students (grades 9-12 at time of application) from Oregon, Idaho and Washington are eligible to apply. Camp is held June 17-20, 2015.
Application Deadline: May 1, 2015.
Range Camp Agenda:
Wednesday June 17: Welcome to the Rangeland!
- Introductions, Expectations and Camp Orientation
- Setting up Team Management Areas
- Team Building and Leadership
- The Secret Life of Sagebrush
- Soils and Everything that Grows in Them
- Around the Campfire Fun and Activities—Night time Navigation
Thursday, June 18: Getting out on the Land
- The Amazing Plants of the High Desert
- Mapping—All about finding your way on the Rangeland
- Sagebrush Ecosystems—What to Manage & How to Manage?
- Invasive Weeds—How they Change the Management Picture
- Around the Campfire Fun and Activities –Dutch Oven Cooking
Friday, June 19: Getting out on the Land
- Juniper Ecosystems—How Fire Affects the Land
- Wildlife the High Desert Ecosystems Support
- Livestock Management on the Rangeland
- How well did you learn your plants?
- Around the Campfire Fun and Activities– Critters In the Night
Saturday, June 20: The Final Fun
- Hike to the Butte!
- Rangeland Management Plans by Teams
- Closing Ceremonies: Awards and Thank Yous— Families are
- Welcome to join us for Awards
Total cost to the camper is only $50.00 as each camper will receive a scholarship to attend camp for $125.00. All meals are provided. Attendees may be eligible to receive college Credits and awards.
Eastern OR Ag Research Center
Additional information at OSU’s website